What data is expected?
This data category requires a high level national map. To satisfy this category, the following minimum criteria must be met:
- Scale of 1:250,000 (1 cm = 2.5km).
- Markings of national roads
- National borders
- Marking of streams, rivers, lakes, mountains.
- Updated at least once a year.
What data is available
- Openly licensed? Yes(Here)
- Is the data machine readable? Yes (Multiple - SHP (English), SHP (French), GML (English), GML (French), KML (English), KML (French), PDF)
- Is the data available for free? Yes
- Available in bulk? Yes
- Is the data provided on a timely and up to date basis? Yes
- Is the data available online? Yes (Here)
- Is data in digital form? Yes
- Publicly available? Yes(as Data: different datasets available on administrative boundaries, hydro network, roads, railways, etc. published by GeoBase series published on GeoGratis)
- Does the data exist? Yes
Multiple national scale framework data are available from Natural Resources Canada in the following portal: http://geogratis.gc.ca/api/en/nrcan-rncan/ess-sst/$categories?scheme=&q=GeoBase
The frequency of updates is uncertain, for examples roads may be updated more frequently than lets say political borders since they do not change, the same can be said for water features. An examination of the full metadata for the road network of the province of British Columbia indicates that it is updated annually http://geogratis.gc.ca/api/en/nrcan-rncan/ess-sst/0e497e59-b9d0-4794-aef9-59b52b448c2b.html
The following are the data which constitute the national map. Geobase 2.0 2 GeoBase - Aboriginal Lands of Canada 14 GeoBase - Canadian Digital Elevation Data 1 GeoBase - Canadian Geodetic Network - Canadian Base Network 1 GeoBase - Canadian Geodetic Network - Federal 2-D Densification Network 1 GeoBase - Canadian Geodetic Network - Federal 3-D Densification Network 1 GeoBase - Canadian Geodetic Network - Primary Vertical Bench Marks 1 GeoBase - Canadian Geographical Names 37 GeoBase - Canadian Geopolitical Boundaries 1 GeoBase - Control Points for Landsat 7 Imagery 1 GeoBase - Federal Electoral Districts 2 GeoBase - GeoBase Orthoimage 2005-2010 5,344 GeoBase - Land Cover, circa 2000-Vector (LCC2000-V) 969 GeoBase - Municipal Boundaries 8 GeoBase - National Hydro Network (NHN) 1,843 GeoBase - National Railway Network (NRWN) 11 GeoBase - National Road Network (NRN) 13 GeoBase - RADARSAT-1 Orthorectified Imagery 5 GeoBase - Raw Imagery GeoBase 2005-2010 5,27
I have updated the URL, the series, provided comments and updated the licence as it is now an open licence.
- Tracey P. Lauriault
- Neal Bastek