What data is expected?
This data category requires a high level national map. To satisfy this category, the following minimum criteria must be met:
- Scale of 1:250,000 (1 cm = 2.5km).
- Markings of national roads
- National borders
- Marking of streams, rivers, lakes, mountains.
- Updated at least once a year.
What data is available
- Openly licensed? Yes(Here)
- Is the data machine readable? Yes (ESRI Shape, GML 3, TIFF)
- Is the data available for free? Yes
- Available in bulk? Yes
- Is the data provided on a timely and up to date basis? Yes
- Is the data available online? Yes (Here)
- Is data in digital form? Yes
- Publicly available? Yes(as OS OpenData (a suite of national mapping datasets at 1:250,000 scale +) published by Ordnance Survey (for Great Britain) and OSNI (for Northern Ireland))
- Does the data exist? Yes
National map data is published by Ordnance Survey (https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/) for Great Britain and is open data: https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/opendatadownload/products.html
Ordnance Survey's OpenData suite of digital products includes 1:250,000 scale raster mapping for all of Great Britain, and additional national mapping at higher resolution (OS StreetView, OS Open Map - Local, OS Open Roads, OS Open Rivers and OS Boundary-Line).
The Ordnance Survey's OpenData product suite is released under the Open Government Licence, which complies with the Open Definition. The mapping is actively maintained and updated regularly.
As Ordnance Survey is the national mapping agency for Great Britain only, the coverage excludes Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.
Separate national mapping data for Northern Ireland is produced by Ordnance Survey for Northern Ireland (OSNI) (http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/ordnance-survey-of-northern-ireland). However open data mapping for Northern Ireland is not currently available at resolutions of 1:250,000 or better.(http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/information-and-services/property-and-housing/your-neighbourhood-roads-and-streets/ordnance-survey-of-northern-ireland/product-range/digital-products.htm). OSNI mapping is available for re-use on commercial terms.
Data is correct. I included this as bulk although Northern Ireland is not a part of this dataset.
- Mor Rubinstein
- Owen Boswarva